We are preparing to ship a very special piece of sculpture by Anna Mahler (1904 – 1988) to Mahler's daughter, Marina, to her home in the south of France. Mahler was an Austrian sculptor, and the daughter of composer Gustav Mahler and his wife Alma Schindler. Her stepfather was Bauhaus architect Walter Gropius. She was awarded the Grand Prix at the Paris World Exhibition in 1937 for an 8’ female sculpture. She fled Nazi Austria for London, and after the end of WWII moved to California, where she resided for a number of years, later returning to London and then Spoleto, Italy. Upon arriving in California in 1950 she worked first from her home on North Laurel Ave., and then moved to an outdoor studio on Beverly Glen Blvd. She taught at both UCLA and USC.
Marina told us that her mother completed 1 - 2 pieces per year. Her work can be found in many private collections, as well as having two pieces locally in the UCLA sculpture garden. There is an Anna Mahler International Foundation in Spoleto, Italy, where she last resided.
This sandstone sculpture of a reclining nude female is from the Los Angeles collection of Louis Frimkess. Frimkess, a renowned mid-century graphic designer, was also the father of artist Michael Frimkess. Frimkess was an avid collector and patron of the arts before his passing in 1979. The Frimkess family resided in a modernist post and beam home designed by case study architects Kemper Nomland and Kemper Nomland Jr. located in Beachwood Canyon, with gardens designed by Garrett Eckbo. This sculpture was an integral part of the garden.